Are you interested in the next 25 years of the Blues Society of WNY?
The only requirement is a passion for the blues! The Blues Society of WNY has been an all-volunteer organization since 1992. As we prepare to celebrate 25 years in 2017, we need YOU to be involved. No matter how much time given, whether hours or years, EVERY volunteer owns a part of our success. In 2012, the Blues Society of WNY won the coveted Keeping the Blues Alive Award at the International Blues Competition in Memphis. This lifetime achievement award is something of which you and WNY can be proud!
IMMEDIATE VOLUNTEER OPENINGS:
Membership Committee Chairperson
PR/Marketing Committee Members
Tabling/Information Booth Volunteers
Board of Directors Candidates
LOOKING FOR GREAT NETWORKING OPPORTUNITIES?
Leadership positions available! If you are detail oriented with strong organizational skills, the Blues Society needs YOU! Please see our list of opportunities below and click here to submit your application. Applicant should be comfortable working with various computer programs (some training provided).
BOARD SECRETARY – A great opportunity to have your finger on the pulse of the Blues Society! Attend monthly Board meetings and provide meeting minutes; perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files.
VOLUNTEER CHAIR – Have fun with our many dedicated volunteers! Work closely with Blues Society event chairs to recruit and assign volunteers for various events, and maintain lists and schedules.
MEMBERSHIP CHAIR – Recruit and renew members of this high-energy organization!
MERCHANDISE CHAIR – Add a little retailing to your life! Purchasing, storage, sales and inventory of Blues Society merchandise.
Manage and process new memberships and renewals. Lead membership renewal drive, recruit new members at Society events, create opportunities for membership drives at Blues venues and non-Society events.
Since 1992, the following Blues Society programs and events were developed after recognizing a need in our community and an opportunity to make a difference with the Blues.
- Blues in the Schools – Since 2001, a program offered to kindergarten through college-age students in schools throughout WNY
- Youth Mentoring – A Society initiative created in 2014 for youth 21 and under to learn from and perform with professional musicians/educators in venues conducive to learning.
- Community Outreach – Workshops, musical performances and musical experiences are presented as a therapeutic vehicle to rehabilitation facilities, hospitals, youth camps, senior facilities and more
- AmJam – Provides an opportunity for amateur musicians to play with seasoned musicians in front of a live audience
- Memphis Bound Competition – Yearly competition where local bands compete to represent the Blues Society of WNY in the Blues Foundation’s International Blues Competition in Memphis.
- Blue Thursday – Our monthly program where members come together to enjoy the month’s highlighted local Blues bands.
- Blues Cruise – Annual summer cruise along the beautiful Buffalo River aboard the Miss Buffalo.
- Buffalo Niagara Blues Festival – Successfully initiated in 2014, attendees enjoy a full day of performances - between acts, area youth from our Blues in the Schools program perform on a separate stage.
- 25th Anniversary Celebration – Planning in progress
We have many opportunities to volunteer. Please sign up today!